Dr. Kaleb Rashad
A creative director (of doing badass work) at the Gary & Jerri-Ann Jacobs @hightechhigh | Equity + Personalization + Authentic Work + Collaborative Design | Curious about Creativity, Innovation, and #HumanCenteredDesign & #Equity |
Spreading Grace, Hope & Optimism with @HTHGSE + Stanford d.School @SchoolRetool + @RWScholars + @LeadershipandDesign + @WildfireEdu | Kaleb holds a BA in Human Development, two Master’s Degrees in Education and Leadership, and a Doctorate in Educational Leadership, focusing on Relational Trust.
"Creativity is as important as literacy and should be treated with the same status."
The Discipline of Experience, Experimentation, and Inspiration
Leonardo Da Vinci had almost no formal schooling, but his ability to make connections, across disciplines--arts & sciences, humanities & technology--was his key to innovation, imagination and genius. What you might not know is that Leonardo had a bit of chip on his shoulder. He held a general lack of reverence for authority, challenged the dogma of the "academics" of his time, and valued experience and experimentation over theory. Intense curiosity, legendary documentation, and rapid experimentation informed his empirical approach. Leonardo referred to himself as a disscepolo della sperientia, a disciple of experience. I'm curious about how we might become more disciplined about experience, experimentation and inspiration. We are in need of an educational Renaissance in today's schools and I wonder about how we might reimagine the experience of our students.
What if school was organized around the interests & natural curiosities of our students and teachers? What if the learning experience required you to observe the world, document the findings, and create/deliver something that's meets an authentic need? I wonder how we might design learning that helps ALL students use their gifts and talents to make a valuable contribution to the world. What if we all insisted on students leaving our schools more curious, more imaginative and more creatively confident?
I'm the Director (of doing badass work) at the Gary & Jerri-Ann Jacobs High Tech High, San Diego. We're a place for doers, dreamers and disruptors and we believe ALL people want to do meaningful work. I hold a BA in Human Development, two Master's Degrees in Education and Leadership, and a Doctorate in Educational Leadership, with an emphasis in Relational Trust. I live with my wife, two boys (Tommy & Noah), two cats, and little Shih-Tzu named Ozzie.
My dissertation research focused how Relational Trust is created among teachers and principals. My belief in human-centered design is deeply rooted in the research findings.
ENFP-A "The Campaigner"
Recent Facilitations, Engagements & Contributions
- #DesignCamp Co-Creator (with the AWESOME Dr. Chagala!!), San Diego, CA 2016-2018: DesignCamp2018
- Mastery Transcript Consortium (MTC), Advisory Council, 2018
- VA ASCD Keynote Speaker: Love + Disruption, Williamsburg, VA 2017
- ShiftEDU Keynote and Facilitator: Love + Disruption II and School ReTool Hack-a-Thon, Miami, FL 2017
- Edleader21 Co-Facilitator: The Power of Human-Centered Design, with Eric Chagala, Atlanta, GA 2017
- School Retool Co-Presenter, Hactivation Nation: Hacking Toward Equity, with Susie Wise + Marthaa Torres, Stanford d. School, CA 2017
- School Retool Coach, Hactivation Nation: Student Exhibition of Learning, Stanford d.School, CA 2017
- Leadership + Design Facilitator, 4D Studio: Design. Disrupt. Dare. Dream. Richmond, VA 2017
- NAACP Legal Defense Fund Panelist, Deeper Learning Convening, Washington, DC, 2017
- Leadership + Design Member, Board of Directors, 2017
- #DesignCampBC Kickoff Co-Presenter, Vancouver, BC, Winter 2017 with Eric Chagala
- NSF Advisory Board for Classrooms as Enterprises: Improving STEM Education Through Authentic Entrepreneurship Experiences, 2017-present
- School Retool: San Diego Coach & Instigator, Winter 2017
- Innovation of Diffusion Cluster Grantee Meet Up (Hewlett + IDEO + Stanford d.School), 2016 to Present
- SXSWedu 2017 Presenter, Austin, TX: "Design + Leadership" with Ela Ben Ur and Eric Chagala
- MVIFI: A Night of Inquiry, Impact and Innovation Speaker, Atlanta, GA: "Love + Disruption"
- Real World Scholars Advisory Board, 2016-present
- The Buck Institute for Education (BIE): High Quality PBL Steering Committee, Present
- Deeper Learning Leadership Forum (Hewlett Foundation & National Equity Project), 2015-2017
- NeverSummer's edOS: A New Operating System for Education, Denver, CO: "Bringing PBL to School/Integrating Design Thinking" June 2016
- SxSwEdu 2016, Austin, TX: "Creating a Culture of Innovation"
- FutureNOW Conference, San Diego, CA: “PBL 102: Teaching Innovation via PBL" 2016
- DesignForward San Diego Presenter: "Scaling Design Thinking in Schools" 2016
- High Tech High Graduate School of Education Instructor
Kaleb is the director of the Gary & Jerri-Ann Jacobs @hightechhigh | As a school community, we exist to be EXCELLENT to each other & do BADASS work. | Kaleb’s belief in human-centered design is rooted in his dissertation research on relational trust. | Kaleb believes in spreading grace, hope and optimism with the Deeper Learning Leadership Forum, Real World Scholars, the Buck Institute for Education, Leadership + Design, School Retool and the High Tech High Graduate School of Education | He lives with his wife, two boys, two cats and little Shih-Tzu named Ozzie in San Diego. Kaleb holds a BA in Human Development, two Master’s Degrees in Education and Leadership, and a Doctorate in Educational Leadership.
How might we move learning from COMPLIANCE to INNOVATION, toward #deeperlearning?
Orbiting the Giant Hairball
Immunity to Change
Ten Faces of Innovation
Change by Design
How Google Works
Most Likely to Succeed
The Storyteller’s Secret
Makers: The next industrial revolution
Strengths Finder 2.0
The Innovators Mindset
Firms of Endearment
Out of Our Minds
Show Your Work
Steal Like an Artist
The Sketchbook Handbook
Design Thinking for Strategic Innovation
Wired to Care
Design Thinking for the Greater Good
Designing for Growth: A Toolkit for Managers
Good People: The Only Leadership Decision That Really Matters
Leonardo Da Vinci
An Ethic of Excellence
The Culture Code
Reach for Greatness
The Book of Learning and Forgetting
Invent to Learn
The Fourth Industrial Revolution
Rise of the Robots
Let the Elephants Run
The Innovator's Solution
The Rise of the Creative Class
Rise of the DEO
Five Minds for the Future
A Whole New Mind
Start with Why
The Innovator's Dilemma
Design the Life You Love
The Leader's Guide to 21st Century Education
Creativity: The Perfect Crime
The Achievement Habit
Bringing Innovation to School
Strength to Love
How: Why How We Do Anything Means Everything
A More Beautiful Question
The Little Book of Innovation
Solving Problems with Design Thinking
101 Design Methods
Design Thinking for Strategic Innovation
The Field Guide to Human Centered Design